Wednesday, September 28, 2011

One Year Already?

Last week we had the chance to celebrate Fiona's first birthday.  As much as I think the whole world should care, I know that it's only a big deal to a select few.  So when planning her party I had to keep repeating to myself this mantra: Keep it Simple.  I have been known to go a little overboard when it comes to, well, anything really.  That's how we perfectionists roll.  But this time I think I actually managed to keep one of my children's parties pretty low key.  Cake.  Ice cream.  Treasure hunt.  Of course, because everything else was so simple, I just could not stop myself from putting a little more effort into her birthday cake.  (It's a disease!)




Having an extremely talented cake-making sister
comes in really handy at times like this. 


White chocolate obsession



 The sign of a successful first birthday
(Ignore the scowl.  All my kids are born with it.)


My pregnancy with Fiona took a lot out of me.  I experienced varicose veins, gestational diabetes, utter exhaustion, and of course my first epidural-free labor (completely involuntary.)  But she has not failed to give back.  She brings me joy on a daily basis.  I love the way her feet wiggle when she's eating in her high chair.  I love how she snuggles against me when I throw her blanket over my shoulder.  I love the way she sticks out her two bottom teeth, and I love that she thinks she can actually outrun me (or should I say out-waddle.)  I love every look, every sound, and every wet kiss.  I love her to the moon and back...plus several more round trips.



4 comments:

  1. Love the cake! Fiona is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so beautiful Hayley! And that cake is fantastic . . . and makes me feel like a party loser. I guess that is why I have boys and you get girls!

    Can't believe our little ones are turning one! Happy Birthday Fiona! (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE that name?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful! I can't believe she is a year old. Seems like she was just born.
    The cake is darling. I love that you go all out for birthdays...I tend to dread them... sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- she is already one? Time flies! The cake and photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete